Friday, April 25, 2008

Let's see how fast this thing can go

It's that time of year again, when things are slowly springing to life and the forces of academia conspire to make sure they choke any life they've left in you out. There's this constant white noise underlying everything, and a pleasant run to everyone's favorite neighborhood restaurant left me with the impression that at this time of the year, it's best to stay out of the way because absolutely everyone is expendable now that the group projects are done. It's the point in the year where, if grad students were armed with nine millimeters, we'd all go insane in our apartments, trying to figure out if the risk of getting shot was worth getting the chance to bust a cap in all of those people.

Today's the final round of classes before the final, where I help them cram so they don't fail the test, while silently hoping no one studies outside of class so my grade curve evens out. I'm a little easy, it turns out.

Because it's the final round of classes, it's also evaluation time. Whic is my least favorite day of the year. I feel like this semseter went better from a teaching standpoin than the last one did, I was definitely much more organized, and with the changes that are happeneing next year, that will only get better.

After today, I've got three take-home tests to wrap up, which I'm hoping to knock out this weekend, and then my first year of grad school is done. Weird.